Fast food chain KFC fined over health and safety breaches

Two workers suffered burns after handling hot gravy with no gloves – the company admits health and safety breaches

The fast food chain KFC have been fined over health and safety breaches, which left two employees with burns after they handled hot gravy with no gloves.

During one incident in July 2014, a 16-year-old boy suffered serious burns whilst working at the Teesside Park restaurant in Stockton, whilst in a separate incident in December 2015, at the Wellington Square restaurant in Stockton, a woman was also left injured.

KFC was made to pay £950,000 in fines and costs totalling £18,700 after pleading guilty to health and safety failings.

Two workers suffered burns after handling hot gravy with no gloves - the company admits health and safety breaches

Fast food chain KFC fined over health and safety breaches © Copyright Colin Park and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

According to KFC Limited, the company invests £7.5million each year in health and safety measures.

It was heard in court that after the woman was injured at the Wellington Square restaurant, environmental health officers visited the branch two days later and discovered that staff members couldn’t find any protective gloves on the premises.

Health officers also decided that health procedures had not been followed at the restaurant.

According to the fast food chain, such accidents were uncommon but on these occasions, staff members had failed to adhere to health and safety procedures.

Stockton Borough Council was responsible for bringing about the prosecution against the fast food chain.

“This is a huge fine that sends out a very clear message that all food business operators have a duty to ensure the health and safety of their employees and provide them with suitable training,” said Cllr Steve Nelson, cabinet for community safety.

Please click here to find out more about our health and safety services.