Landlord fined for endangering tenants

A Plymouth landlord has been fined for risking the lives of a young mother and her child.

The landlord of a property in Plymouth put the lives of a mother and child at risk by providing a dangerous gas oven which was installed in the house.

Giles Boardman, the landlord in question, was prosecuted at Plymouth Magistrates on the 29th August following the investigation by HSE.

HSE were alerted to the property when Plymouth City Council discovered that a gas safety certificate for the property in Dickiemoor Lane did not exist. Plymouth City Council had asked Mr Boardman to provide a certificate on a number of occasions.

Landlord gas

Mr Boardman was served an Improvement Notice by HSE which ordered him to provide a gas safety check. However, this was not completed.

In April 2014, an engineer found several issues with the gas controls and flow for the oven and as a result notified HSE. The oven was classed as Immediately Dangerous and could have caused an immediate danger to life or the property if operated or left connected to the gas supply.

Mr Boardman of Wheatridge, was fined £4,050 and ordered to pay costs of £513 after pleading guilty to two breaches of gas safety regulations and a single breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act.

HSE Inspector Simon Jones said after the result of the hearing:

“Landlords have a legal duty to carry out gas safety checks which are there to protect their tenants from death or injury.

“In this case, Mr Boardman ignored repeated requests to carry out the checks and as a result, a serious fault with the oven went undetected until discovered by an engineer.”