Health And Safety Laboratory
Health and Safety Laboratory
There are a number of legal requirements which must be addressed before carrying out work in a laboratory.
People who work in laboratories are at a higher risk than most people at work due to the exposure of biological agents. Therefore, certain health and safety measures must be in place to protect the welfare of your workers in laboratories. Make sure you protect your employees - Call us today for a Free Quote on 0800 211 8331.
Following the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974, all employers who are in charge of employing people to work in laboratories, have a legal duty to ensure the health and safety of their employees is adequate and sufficient for the task required of them and the workplace.
If you are unsure of what the regulations require of you, call us now for more information and advice.
Health and Safety in a Lab
There are many risks that can occur in a laboratory, including the following:
- Exposure to chemical hazards
- Exposure to biological agents
- Handling of sharp equipment and sharps containers
- Repetitive postures/actions
- Fire, explosion and electrical hazards.
Never underestimate the importance of health and safety in a laboratory
Employers must make sure the following have been addressed:
- A suitable and sufficient laboratory risk assessment has been conducted
- All employees have been appropriately trained and received adequate information and advice
- All work equipment is in good condition and is inspected regularly
- All hazardous chemicals/agents are stored appropriately and safely
- A plan for emergency action is in place and employees are aware of it.
It is essential that your business ensures the health and safety of your employees working in laboratories. In the event that HSE discover your business is not compliant with the health and safety regulations, then you, as the employer, will be held accountable. Consequences for breaching HSE regulations can be severe, taking the form of heavy fines, potentially large compensation payouts and even jail time in severe cases.
It is crucial that your laboratory is fully compliant with the health and safety in the laboratory regulations.
We can provide your business with leading health and safety consultants with experience and NEBOSH qualifications to ensure your laboratory is abiding by the relevant health and safety laws. Our experienced team provide uniquely tailored assistance and advice to suit the needs of your laboratory.
For more information and advice on health and safety in laboratories, call our helpful customer care team today on 0800 211 8331.