Accident Procedures Tool Box Talk
Heres a free tool box talk for Accident Procedures. To learn more about TBT’s view more and download all our tool box talks kit containing over 60 common tool box talks click here
Introduction: Whilst the emphasis should be on prevention, the construction industry is a high-risk business, and there is always the possibility of an accident. It is important that all know what to do in such circumstances.
• All accidents, and near misses, should be reported.
• All must know who the appointed persons/first-aiders are.
• All should know the best means of contacting the emergency services.
• Know the name and contact procedures for the appointed person/first aider, and the location of the first aid kit.
• If you are going to be working away, in a small group etc, consider a small first aid kit to take with you.
• Know the basic rules if you have to deal with a casualty:
Remove hazard from casualty if safe to do so.
Call for help (first aider if possible).
Send someone to phone for an ambulance if necessary.
Do not move the casualty unless he is in immediate danger.
Make the casualty as comfortable as possible and remain with him providing reassurance.
Don’t give food or drink to the casualty – moisten lips if necessary.
Do not allow casualty to smoke.
• Consider what you know about first aid – do you know:
How to resuscitate and start the heart?
How to stop major bleeding?
How to treat burns, scolds and shock?
These comprise basic first aid procedures that can save a life both at home and at work.
If you don’t know them you may wish to consider first aid training.
• Accidents and near misses should be investigated to establish the cause, and to enable the implementation of procedures etc, to prevent recurrence.
AFTER AN ACCIDENT THE QUESTION SHOULD BE
“WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE TO PREVENT IT?”
– ACTION SHOULD THEN BE TAKEN TO PREVENT RECURRENCE
Name: Company: Signature
Person carrying out TBT:
If you would like to save time on your Health and Safety, create RAMS, Risk assessments, Method Statements online in just minutes, try our online health and safety software
Get access now for free!