Confined Spaces Tool Box Talk
Heres a free tool box talk for Confined Spaces. To learn more about TBT’s view more and download all our tool box talks kit containing over 60 common tool box talks click here
Introduction: Confined spaces can include cellars, pits, tanks, drains, manholes, sewers, and even some types of excavation. Some are more obvious than others, but confined spaces are more common on construction sites than often realised.
• · Consider what may comprise a confined space on your site!
• · A risk assessment should be carried out for all confined spaces.
• · Never ever work alone in a confined space.
• Hazards include oxygen depletion/enrichment, suffocation, toxic and flammable atmospheres, physical dangers (plant), biological hazards (Weil’s disease), etc.
• Confined space atmospheres should be checked prior to entry.
• Suitable PPE should be worn which may include breathing apparatus, and may require specialist training.
• Employees working in confined spaces should be fit and healthy.
• Permit to work systems should be used where applicable (these should include rescue procedures).
• Work in confined spaces must be supervised, either physically or by communications/monitoring equipment (remember failure procedures).
• Ensure any recovery equipment is checked and serviceable prior to starting work.
• Ensure all know the alarm procedure – including location of nearest telephone, etc.
• Don’t attempt a rescue without first sounding the alarm.
• Always leave a confined space immediately if told to do so.
• Don’t eat, drink, smoke, or used naked flames in confined spaces or in close proximity to entry.
• Ensure there is suitable access/egress.
• Remain alert to any changes in the situation/environment. If in doubt – get out.
GLOVES AND MASKS MAY PROTECT INDIVIDUALS
– SAFE SYSTEMS OF WORK PROTECT EVERYONE
Name: Company: Signature
Person carrying out TBT:
If you would like to save time on your Health and Safety, create RAMS, Risk assessments, Method Statements online in just minutes, try our online health and safety software
Get access now for free!