Highly Flammable Liquids Tool Box Talk
Below you find a complete free tool box talk on Highly Flammable Liquids. To learn more about TBT’s and view and download 60+ covering everything! With our tool box talks kit click here
Highly Flammable Liquids
Introduction: Highly Flammable Liquids (HFL’s), including petroleum based adhesives, are used extensively throughout the construction industry and carry with them the risk of fire, serious accidents and injury.
• Always look for the hazard symbol and wording on containers.
• Only ever have the minimum quantities at the place of work. Keep the remainder in suitable stores.
• Always keep the lid on containers when not is immediate use, and store correctly.
• Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Keep away from open flames and sources of heat (HFL’s ignite at relatively low temperatures).
• Do not smoke in areas where HFL’s are used or stored, and do not use equipment which generates heat and/or sparks (including electrical sparks).
• HFL vapours are generally heavier than air and will accumulate at ground level if they cannot disperse. Beware of drains, excavations, pits, etc, both when using and storing HFL’s.
• HFL vapours can also be toxic, make you drowsy, etc. Only use in well ventilated areas, or, if this is not possible, respiratory protective equipment may have to be worn.
• HFL storage should comprise containers made of non-flammable material (don’t forget the vapour hazards – ensure there is ventilation).
• Clear up any spillage immediately and safely dispose of contaminated cleaning materials. If inside a building, consider assisting vapour dispersal by opening windows, doors, etc.
• Consider covering drains to protect against entry by substance or its vapour where necessary and practicable.
IF YOU IGNORE HEALTH AND SAFETY
THE NEXT PERSON YOU INJURE COULD BE YOU!
Name: Company: Signature
Person carrying out TBT:
Save time on your health and safety docs, create RAMS, Risk assessments, Method Statements online in just minutes with our easy to use generators, Get access now for free!