Pollution Prevention Tool Box Talk
Below you find a complete free tool box talk on Pollution Prevention. To learn more about TBT’s and view and download 60+ covering everything! With our tool box talks kit click here
Introduction: Pollution not only threatens today’s generations, but also those of tomorrow – our children, and, in turn, their children. Not only is there a legal obligation to prevent pollution, there is also a moral one.
• Pollution can affect air, land or water!
• Smoke, fumes, vapours, chemicals, oils, fuels, etc, are all potential pollutants.
• Pollutants can migrate over significant distances from a site – particularly if water bound.
• Always use hazardous substances (remember COSHH?) with care, ensuring they are suitably stored and empty containers are properly disposed of.
• Diesel tanks, fuel cans, etc, should be stored and used so that leakages/spillages can be contained (consider hard standings, bunding, spill trays, spillsorbs, etc).
• Do not run plant or equipment when not in use. This is using valuable fuels which are in turn causing pollution, and is also costing someone money!
• Electrically powered plant and equipment is more environmentally friendly than combustion engine operated, but still damages the environment at source.
• Ensure all plant and equipment is well maintained to ensure it is running efficiently (using less energy), and does not have the likes of oil leaks.
• Noise is also a pollutant and should be reduced so far as is reasonably practicable – this will also help your ears.
• Water is an increasingly valuable resource. Do not waste it by using leaking hoses or by leaving them running unnecessarily.
• Be particularly aware if your site borders any watercourse. Water can carry pollutants over significant distances, and all too easily contaminate local drinking supplies. Never use watercourses for cleaning tools, etc, and never store hazardous substances nearby.
• Likewise beware of drains – especially storm drains. Again, never store hazardous substances nearby and never pour any contaminants down storm drains.
• If in doubt – ask!
PRACTICE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT BY MEETING THE NEEDS OF TODAY’S GENERATIONS,
WITHOUT COMPROMISING THE NEEDS OF TOMORROW’S GENERATIONS!
Save time on your health and safety docs, create RAMS, Risk assessments, Method Statements online in just minutes with our easy to use generators, Get access now for free!