Roof Work Tool Box Talk
Below you find a complete free tool box talk on Roof Work. To learn more about TBT’s and view and download 60+ covering everything! With our tool box talks kit click here
Introduction: Roof work is inherently hazardous and results in a significant number of serious accidents every year. Don’t become a statistic.
• Is it necessary to actually go on the roof? Are there alternatives such as tower scaffolds, mobile elevated work platforms (MEWPs), etc?
• A risk assessment should be carried out for every roof to be worked on.
• Only suitably trained operatives should be permitted to work on roofs.
• A safe method of work must be agreed prior to any roof work commencing.
• Consider methods of access/egress – these must be safe.
• Suitable and sufficient edge protection must be provided to prevent falls of both persons and materials (scaffolding, guard-rails, etc) – physical protection!
• Hazard tape, rope etc, can only be used where employees are not going to go within 2m of a leading edge, opening, etc.
• Identify all openings and securely guard or cover them.
• Suitable crawling boards and roof ladders must be provided for sloping and/or fragile roofs (unless suitable battening is to be used).
• Where crawling boards are to be used for access/egress or used near leading edges/openings then guard-rails, intermediate guard-rails and toe-boards must be fitted.
• Where it is impractical to provide edge protection then safety harnesses must be worn and suitable anchor points utilised.
• Always consider the weather – wet, windy and/or icy conditions can seriously impact on roof work.
• Consider how you are going to get stores up (hoists, etc) and waste down (rubbish chutes, etc).
• Consider recovery procedures in the event of an accident, i.e. a person hanging from a safety line, getting a casualty down from the roof etc.
PREVENTING AN ACCIDENT IS ALWAYS POSSIBLE
– REPAIRING A BROKEN BODY ISN’T!
Save time on your health and safety docs, create RAMS, Risk assessments, Method Statements online in just minutes with our easy to use generators, Get access now for free!