Safe Stacking On Site Tool Box Talk
Below you find a complete free tool box talk on Safe Stacking On Site. To learn more about TBT’s and view and download 60+ covering everything! With our tool box talks kit click here
Safe Stacking On Site
Introduction: Unsafe stacking can cause injuries as a result of collapse, or when materials have to be collected from stacks. In contrast, safe stacking not only reduces risk, but also enhances site efficiency.
• Only stack materials in designated areas ensuring that escape routes, doorways etc, are not obstructed.
• Stack on level, firm surfaces, use packing where appropriate, and never stack materials higher than three times the base width.
• Make sure you wear suitable protective clothing such as gloves and safety boots, and use handling accessories as appropriate.
• Use machinery where possible eliminating the need for manual handling. Where manual handling is unavoidable, carry out an assessment.
• Stack small pipes in racks, whilst large diameter pipes must be securely chocked at the base.
• Do not stack pipes in pyramids – they are not sufficiently stable.
• Large concrete rings must be laid flat so they cannot roll.
• Small sized timbers should be stacked in racks.
• Bearers should be used for larger timbers and joists – use cross packing to keep level.
• Where possible keep different length timbers in different stacks.
• Large prefabricated panels should be stacked flat or in suitable racks – they should never be leant against temporary structures, parts of buildings, or where the wind could affect them.
• Store bricks/blocks/palleted materials on level surfaces and ensure heights are controlled
– only stack two packs high, and place upper stacks squarely on lower stacks.
• If banding is damaged or materials are displaced then do not stack other materials on top
– where necessary make lower stacks safe.
YOU WERE BORN WITH TWO ARMS, TWO HANDS, TWO LEGS AND TWO FEET
– LET’S KEEP IT THAT WAY
Save time on your health and safety docs, create RAMS, Risk assessments, Method Statements online in just minutes with our easy to use generators, Get access now for free!