Scaffolding Tool Box Talk
Below you find a complete free tool box talk on Scaffolding. To learn more about TBT’s and view and download 60+ covering everything! With our tool box talks kit click here
Introduction: Falls of both persons and objects from scaffolding are a major cause of accidents in the construction industry, and in some cases the scaffold itself falls! All are preventable.
- Scaffolding must be planned according to requirements including loads, platforms, safe passage, access/egress, etc.
- Scaffolding should only be erected, adjusted and dismantled by, or under the supervision of, a competent (properly trained) person.
- Scaffolding must be maintained and this is the responsibility of all employees. Do not tamper with scaffolding and report any faults or concerns immediately.
- Safe access/egress must be provided, which will normally comprise ladders. These must be secured and extend sufficiently beyond platforms for safe mounting/dismounting.
- On no account should employees be climbing scaffold.
- Scaffold platforms must be fully planked out where practicable, and should provide a passage for people of at least 600mm in width.
- Where stores are stacked on scaffold platforms then consider load weights, ensure 600mm passage is maintained, do not stack materials too high, and stack near standards as opposed to centre of bays.
- Over 2m in height then guard-rails, intermediate guard-rails and toe-boards are required.
- Where guard-rails are removed to facilitate loading they must be replaced immediately – consider purpose built loading bays.
- Scaffolding must be suitably tied to structures. On no account remove ties – get a scaffolder to do it.
- Do not use incomplete or unsafe scaffolding – report it and get it signposted prohibiting use.
- Scaffolding should be formally inspected after initial erection, after significant alteration, after any destabilising event, and at least once every 7 days. The findings should be recorded.
A HANGMANS NOOSE IS SUPPORTED BY A SCAFFOLD
– ENSURE YOUR SCAFFOLDING ISN’T AS LETHAL!
Save time on your health and safety docs, create RAMS, Risk assessments, Method Statements online in just minutes with our easy to use generators, Get access now for free!