Underground Services Toolbox Talk
Below you find a complete free tool box talk on underground Services. To learn more about TBT’s and view and download 60+ covering everything! With our tool box talks kit click here
Introduction: There continue to be numerous injuries, and several fatalities, every year as a result of contact with underground services.
• Ensure that as much research as possible is carried out to identify underground services prior to any work commencing (existing plans, service authorities, etc).
• Clearly mark potential locations of underground services.
• Employ safe digging techniques wherever underground services are suspected.
• Ensure all employees are aware of actions to be taken in event of discovering possible services.
• Remember that gas is both inflammable and explosive. If any gas leak is suspected, leave the area and call the gas and emergency services (do not smoke in vicinity!).
• Beware that modern house mains are often smaller diameter plastic pipes – do not confuse with electric cables!
• Follow gas company specifications for back-filling.
• Beware when working with water mains; remember that water at high pressure can cause serious, and even fatal, injuries, and that a burst water pipe can fill an excavation very quickly. Contact the water services immediately if water pipes are damaged.
• Ladders should be provided for access/egress to excavations containing water pipes.
• Don’t leave lengths of pipes unsupported, and don’t drop tools/equipment onto exposed pipes.
• Be especially aware if foul sewers are damaged as they carry specific health hazards – evacuate immediately and contact the water company.
• If you have to work in or near foul sewers, then wear PPE to protect against sewage, and wash hands before eating, drinking or smoking.
• If you break a stormwater sewer when rain is falling, then evacuate as it could flood without warning.
• Remember buried service colour coding:
o Black or red: Electricity
o Blue: Water
o Yellow: Gas
o Grey or white: Telecommunications
o Green: Cable television
NO-ONE IS ACCIDENT PRONE – THEY’RE JUST POORLY PREPARED!
Save time on your health and safety docs, create RAMS, Risk assessments, Method Statements online in just minutes with our easy to use generators, Get access now for free!