Use Of Compressed Gases Tool Box Talk
Heres a free tool box talk for Use Of Compressed Gases. To learn more about TBT’s view more and download all our tool box talks kit containing over 60 common tool box talks click here
Use of Compressed Gases
Introduction: Compressed gases, including Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), are used extensively on construction sites and provide a valuable source of energy. Misuse, however, can result in fires, serious accidents and injuries.
• Treat all cylinders as full.
• Regularly inspect hoses, cylinders and valves for damage and wear and tear.
• The likes of Oxy/Acetylene cylinders should only be used by competent persons.
• Keep cylinders away from the sun, artificial heat, flammable materials, corrosive chemicals, etc. Do not smoke in vicinity.
• If a cylinder catches fire, then call the fire brigade. Cool the cylinder with water spray only if safe to do so.
• Always have fire extinguishers located within reasonable proximity to any hot work being carried out. Use hot work permits if appropriate.
• Ensure everyone knows fire procedures including alarm signal, evacuation routes, assembly area, and correct use of fire extinguishers (including types!)
• Avoid damage to cylinder valves and fittings. Don’t use them as carrying aids. Open valves slowly and close sufficiently to cut off gas supply – do not use excessive force.
• Always secure acetylene cylinders in upright position. Ensure all cylinders are stored so that they cannot fall or roll.
• Consider manual handling of cylinders – they are heavy! Use a trolley for full size cylinders or get assistance.
• Always unload cylinders from lorries, vans, etc, by lifting – not by dropping/sliding.
• Transport cylinders in vehicles with good ventilation – ensure relevant signs (compressed gases) are clearly displayed on vehicles.
PEOPLE CAUSE ACCIDENTS – NOT EQUIPMENT!
LPG AND COMPRESSED GASES ARE VALUABLE “TOOLS”
– BUT CAN BE LETHAL IF NOT USED CORRECTLY
Name: Company: Signature
Person carrying out TBT:
If you would like to save time on your Health and Safety, create RAMS, Risk assessments, Method Statements online in just minutes, try our online health and safety software
Get access now for free!